Angelo Camerino

Angelo Camerino was born in Greccio, near Rieti, in 1932. From an early age he showed a particularly keen interest in painting, as well as in sculpture, restoration, and al fresco painting techniques: skills that he learned whilst serving an important period of apprenticeship. An artist-scientist, connoisseur extraordinaire and expert in the use of the most diverse materials, Camerino saw painting and sculpture as alchemic acts which could move towards uniting nature and material. In his view, the welder’s torch might return metal sheets, bronze, marble and wood back to their original, uncorrupted and incorruptible essence.

From the 1970s, his work was shown in galleries and public venues both in Italy and abroad. Among the most important shows were his solo exhibitions at the Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome in 1972, at the Maschio Angioino in Naples in 1976, and again in Rome at the the Palazzo dei Congressi in the early 1990s. He worked on several restoration projects in historical buildings and churches in Rome, among which an altarpiece in the Chapel of the Paul VI Audience Hall in the Vatican, an altarpiece in Palazzo Simonetti, and a wooden triptych at the Rome Vicariate. His sculptures were often awarded as prizes at galas and other cultural events. Camerino died in Rome in 2017.

Sculture