Tommaso Cascella was born in Rome in 1951. The descendant of a family tradition spanning over a century, he experiences different artistic languages as his natural means of expression. His almost three-dimensional paintings are reminiscent of sculpture. These intense chromatic compositions possess a certain architecture scattered with symbols: an almost alchemic alphabet loaded with universal meaning. In his paintings and sculptures, he blends the visual with the tactile, the smooth surface of colour with layers of gestures and signs, the ideal plane of the painting with visible material additions. The titles of his works are often borrowed from poetry and literature, two of his great passions.
In 1981 he founded the art and poetry journal Cervo volante (Flying Deer), which was published until 1984. Poet Adriano Spatola edited the first issues, followed by Edoardo Sanguineti and Achille Bonito Oliva. In the early 1980s, he began to exhibit in public and private venues in Italy and abroad. His works were acquired by important museums in Japan, China and Taiwan. In 1995 he was appointed Academician of Sculpture at the Accademia di San Luca (Academy of Saint Luke) in Rome. Among his most recent exhibitions in Italy are Linguaggio dell’iride (Language of the Iris) at the Cloister of St. Augustine in Pietrasanta and a solo exhibition at the Archaeological Museum of Terni, both in 2006. In 2011, his sculpture Cielo rovesciato (Upside Down Sky) was shown at the Venice Biennale, while in 2012 his works were exhibited at Palazzo Santacroce Aldobrandini, in Rome, as part of the Arte in regola (Art in Order) project. In the same year, he presented the exhibition Tra memoria e invenzione (Between Memory and Invention) at Roma Tre University. He lives and works in Bomarzo.